Dr Lim won medical school prizes in Biochemistry, Pathology & Microbiology, and Surgery. In 2002, Dr Lim won the Young Orthopaedic Investigator Award at the combined meeting of the Singapore and the Asia-Pacific Orthopaedic Associations for his research into the use of mesenchymal stem cells in ACL reconstruction. He also won the National University Hospital Singapore Young Doctor award for that research in the same year.
Dr Lim is a published author in research journals such as the American Journal of Sports Medicine and the Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. His research as been presented in various international meetings including the Arthroscopy Association of North America. He has been a reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine since 2009, and was a Principal Reviewer in 2015.
Dr Lim has served as the surgical training faculty for ISAKOS mandated surgical workshops in Singapore and overseas.
Research from Dr Lim includes the articles and editorial outlined below:
- Editorial. Sports Medicine. B Tan, J Chia, JK Lim. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2008 Apr;37(4)
- Frequency of Various Tear Patterns in Full-Thickness Tears of the Rotator Cuff. PI Sallay, PJ Hunker, JK Lim. Arthroscopy 2007 Oct;23(10):1052-9
- Surgical repair of an acute latissimus dorsi tendon avulsion using suture anchors through a single incision. JK Lim, ME Tilford, SF Hamersly, PI Sallay. Am J Sports Med. 2006 Aug;34(8):1351-5.
- Rhabdomyolysis following shoulder arthroscopy. JK Lim, KC Ang, SC Wang, VP Kumar. Arthroscopy 2006 Dec;22(12):1366.e1-5.
- Enhancement of tendon graft osteointegration using mesenchymal stem cells in a rabbit model of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. JK Lim, J Hui, L Li, A Thambyah, J Goh, EH Lee. Arthroscopy. 2004 Nov; 20(9):899-910.
- Variation of the cervical spinal Torg ratio with gender and ethnicity. JK Lim & HK Wong. Spine J 2004;4(4):396-401.
- Physeal injury in a lightning strike survivor. JK Lim & EH Lee. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2001;21:608-12.